After discovering an interest in biophotonics and medical devices in high school, Hillel began working in Adam Wax's BIOS lab in 2009 at Duke University. Hillel studied Physics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill from 2010-2015 where he received this Bachelors of Science degree. While an undergraduate student in 2012, Hillel began worked in Amy Oldenburg's Coherence Imaging Lab at UNC. There he focused on image processing and 3D reconstruction of airway geometry from anatomical Optical Coherence Tomography (aOCT) images. After graduating from UNC, Hillel continued on as a Research Specialist in the Coherence Imaging Lab focusing on 3D reconstructing CT and aOCT images of phantoms and in vivo pig airways for computation fluid dynamics simulations of airflow. In 2019 Hillel returned to the BIOS lab as a Research Assistant to work on Dual-Axis OCT, combined Quantitative Phase Imaging (QPI) and Forrester Resonance Energy Transfer imaging, and High throughput holographic cytometry. In 2021 Hillel began his PhD studies at Duke with a research focus on using low-cost OCT and angle-resolved Low Coherence Interferometry (a/LCI) to detect biomarkers of Alzheimer's Disease in a clinical setting. In his free time Hillel enjoys socializing, cooking, and cheering on UNC Tar Heels.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Office Location: 136 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: +1 919 660 5131
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bu, R; Balakrishnan, S; Iftimia, N; Price, H; Zdanski, C; Mitran, S; Oldenburg, AL, Sensing Inhalation Injury-Associated Changes in Airway Wall Compliance by Anatomic Optical Coherence Elastography., Ieee Transactions on Bio Medical Engineering, vol 68 no. 8 (2021), pp. 2360-2367 [10.1109/tbme.2020.3037288] [abs].
- Price, HB; Kimbell, JS; Bu, R; Oldenburg, AL, Geometric Validation of Continuous, Finely Sampled 3-D Reconstructions From aOCT and CT in Upper Airway Models., Ieee Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol 38 no. 4 (2019), pp. 1005-1015 [10.1109/tmi.2018.2876625] [abs].
- Balakrishnan, S; Bu, R; Iftimia, N; Price, H; Zdanski, C; Oldenburg, AL, Combined anatomical optical coherence tomography and intraluminal pressure reveal viscoelasticity of the in vivo airway., Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol 23 no. 10 (2018), pp. 1-4 [10.1117/1.jbo.23.10.100501] [abs].
- Bu, R; Balakrishnan, S; Iftimia, N; Price, H; Zdanski, C; Oldenburg, AL, Airway compliance measured by anatomic optical coherence tomography., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 8 no. 4 (2017), pp. 2195-2209 [10.1364/boe.8.002195] [abs].
- Balakrishnan, S; Bu, R; Price, H; Zdanski, C; Oldenburg, AL, Multi-modal anatomical Optical Coherence Tomography and CT for in vivo Dynamic Upper Airway Imaging., Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Active Materials: Behavior and Mechanics, vol 10039 (2017) [10.1117/12.2250348] [abs].